Saturday, September 16, 2006

Never On Friday Five

Rating: SL

Brought to you, as always, by RevGalBlogPals.

1. Tell us about a time you met someone famous.
My first job out of undergrad and I'm waiting tables in a low-priced Mexican restaurant in Austin, working lunches because I have rehearsals at night. It's a weekday, post-lunch-rush, maybe 2:00, pretty slow, and a couple comes in requesting seating in the smoking section. They look like they just got up. The young woman orders margaritas for them both. The man keeps his head down, studying the menu like there's going to be a quiz. I put in their drink order, and the bartender looks over at them and says, "That's Bruce Springsteen." "Oh, bullshit," I laugh. I take them their drinks, the young woman orders double fajitas, I put in the order, and the bartender says again, "That's Bruce Springsteen." "Oh stop it, I'm not falling for it," I say, grinning. "No, that's Bruce Springsteen. Look," he says. So I look. The man's head is up for the first time since they came in. Holy shit. It's Bruce Springsteen. Wearing shorts and a Christopher Cross t-shirt. And the young woman with her hair in a scrunchie, wearing faded capris and an enormous knotted t-shirt and running shoes is Julianne Phillips.
Just so you know, we were all very, very cool about it. No one squealed until after they left.

2. Tell us about a celebrity you'd like to meet.
Ursula K. Le Guin. The woman has a direct line to the cosmos. Every time I reread something of hers it teaches me something completely new to me.

3. Tell us about someone great who's *not* famous that you think everyone oughta have a chance to meet.
Steve Darden, Navajo medicine man, former judge, teacher, speaker, and truly amazing person. Someone who is making a difference in the world.

4. Do you have any autographs of famous people?
I have an autographed Michelle Shocked CD. Also copies of War and Remembrance and The Will To Live On inscribed by the author, Herman Wouk.

5. If you were to become famous, what would you want to become famous for?
Curing AIDS. Or cancer. See The Final Frontier for why that's never going to happen--I believe some competency in organic chemistry, as well as the ability to, you know, do math beyond the eighth-grade level, is probably required.

Bonus: Whose 15 minutes of fame was up long, long ago?
Skeevy E-Harmony Guy. Just too revolting for color TV.

yours in the struggle,
Max

6 Comments:

At 3:47 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I laughed, I cried. Great stuff Max. So, can you suggest a book by Ursula for us virgins to her work?

 
At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Swan--Why yes, yes I can. A Wizard of Earthsea, to begin with. Deeply moving story about one person's relationship with his shadow. Or else The Dispossessed, which your sister the teacher of english might especially appreciate--there's amazing stuff in there about the passion of learning and teaching.
Just to start with.
Enjoy!

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Did you see the TV adaptation of Wizard of Earthsea? And if so, did it do any justice to the story? I was attracted to the shadow theme, but was not paying full attention to the show, so I didn't have a conclusion about whether to read the book.

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

songbird--I only saw the ads for the TV movie, which frankly looked so terrible I didn't watch it. So I can't say for certain that it was dreadful. I can say that the ads demonstrated some significant deviation from Le Guin's story.
Verdict? Read the book. Really. It ought to be required for anyone preparing for ministry.
In my not-so-humble opinion.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Max. I'll get it on my pile of books-to-be-read!

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Pascale Soleil said...

Left Hand of Darkness, one of my favorite books EVER.

Glad to find your blog, Max.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


RingSurf Home
Visit this Ring's Home Page!
Gallae by ***OWNER NAME***
[ Join Now | List Sites | Random | ««Prev | Next»» ]